Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Does Homeschooling Work?

Does homeschooling work is a question that I get asked all of the time. The second most popular question I get asked is, "Are you a certified teacher?" I have four children, 10, 9, 6, and 3, each of them are currently involved with some form of home education. My youngest is learning to recognize her letters and numbers with various online apps, while my other children are involved with a full scale curriculum. Living in Florida affords my family a simple letter of intent be sent to the state advising that we will be homeschooling our children. I am not certified in the sense of studying and taking a test for a teaching certification, but I am a father that loves his children. At the end of each year our children take an achievement test and are then evaluated by a certified teacher. There have been no concerns on her part, nor ours. Aside from keeping our children motivated and keeping ourselves organized, we can emphatically answer the question "does homeschooling work" with a yes.



Does public education work? Our children have never been in the public school system, but I have. It did not work for me. I do have a 4 year degree as proof that I went to college, but even that did not seem to benefit me in the sense that I feel like a better person after college. Because I believe in the idea that my children should be taught about God and feel safe while obtaining an education, my wife and I decided to teach our children from home. We have learned a great deal about ourselves as a family and as individuals because of our homeschool experience, but the question still remains, "Does homeschooling work?" I suppose we will never truly know until our children face the real world and its challenges and come out victorious. If our children can enter adulthood having their faith in Christ in tact, then I will know that homeschooling indeed does work.

No comments:

Post a Comment